Friday, August 13, 2010

Being a Nanny

Ever since I finished my anatomy class back in July, I've been taking care of the G kids.  Their mom is a partner in my mom's firm...and because of several different factors, they asked if I would be willing to entertain said kids for a few hours each day this summer.

Let me just start off and say that this was quite the time commitment.  It takes about 45 minutes to an hour to just get to their house...and then added travel time to the activity and back home...for me to fight rush hour traffic every evening to get back home for dinner.  This opportunity has definitely been a blessing.  Please don't misread what I've said.  Yes, it takes a lot of time (averaging about 6 hours a day) and lots of driving...which means lots of gas and lots of $$ spent on gas.  Sigh.  But, I was able to pay for tickets to Midland in December for one of my best friend's wedding without dipping into my savings.  When you don't have a full-time job after having one, it's difficult to budget for items like that.  It also allows me to purchase the dress for said wedding sans-debt.  Whoop!

Along with the extra cash flow, this job has clarified that I am not supposed to work with children in their pre-teen years.  M is 9, A is 10...enough for me to be quite stern at times.  I'm pretty sure I've never heard them stop talking.  It's absolutely amazing to me how two little girls can talk so much!  And the topics - so random. Today, at lunch, the topic jumped from Miley Cyrus to being put in jail for egging a house.  As you can see, there's no rhyme or reason to the conversation.  I think I need some adult time ASAP!

Good thing I'm going to CS this weekend to see some precious ladies.  I'm excited for this quick trip.

1 comment:

  1. Please don't forget to put on any future resumé: "Does not work well with children." Hahahaha.

    ReplyDelete