Tuesday, March 16, 2010

What I'm looking forward to...

On Saturday of this last weekend, we got a taste of how glorious spring is in southern Texas.  Spring only lasts about a couple of hours before it turns into summer here (which is quite miserable and humid). 

Katy and I took a little walk down to the park close to our house to lay on a blanket in the sun and basically just absorb it's joy and warmth.  And really, it was so relaxing.  The temperature was so perfect and the sun provided just the right amount of warmth to keep the chill off.  Last summer, I missed not being around a pool for the first time in about 15 years.  Every summer before that, I lived at the pool, either by swimming in it for practice or coaching by it for teams.  It was definitely quite different to travel halfway around the world to be in a place that doesn't have central air conditioning. 

So what am I looking forward to in a month?  Being on a pool deck again and feeling the sun bleach my hair back to its lighter brown days.  It wasn't until about a week ago when the weather finally started behaving, that I realized how much I have missed being outside. 

In college, you get to walk outside to get from class to class (or at least I got to).  When you work full-time, it's definitely harder to actually make it outside and help your body make some vitamin D.  Especially when it's cold, cloudy, and rainy/snowy.  This winter was awful (shiver)! 

But when you get to take an hour for lunch and travel to a local park, it's the best feeling to have the sun shine on your face.  Last Thursday was the best lunch I've had while I've been working full-time.  This year, I definitely appreciate the warmth much more.  Mostly because I've basically frozen to death in my office this winter.  My fingers and toes are much appreciative of the time outside. 

Being outside gives me life.  It's peaceful, and I seriously love how God created everything so perfectly.  On Sunday, the sermon was from Psalm 19 - and how David is amazed at the wonder of what God created for our enjoyment.  God paints sunsets for us.  He creates gorgeous Saturday afternoons so that we may lay in the sun and enjoy the glory of His creation.  It definitely fit in with what I've been experiencing with the weather.  No other creature can appreciate the beauty and intimate gift that God has given exclusively to us. 

So I'm looking forward to being outside and enjoying the weather this spring (the few short hours it will last), and ultimately, this summer around the pool deck.  He knows our hearts.  He gives us gifts that we don't deserve...and it makes me stand in awe of who He is.

No comments:

Post a Comment