Thursday, January 14, 2010

Middle Child Syndrome

I'm a middle child and approximately 3 years away from either of my sisters.  On my drive to have lunch with my little sister L earlier today, I was thinking about something she mentioned to me around Thanksgiving of last year.

Our oldest sister, A, was coming to visit my parent's house with her husband and dog-child for the holiday.  It was going to be a family reunion of our immediate family - and L was concerned that as the baby, she would be merely forgotten.  She was convinced that because our parents don't have the opportunity to see A very often, the attention would be focused on the eldest.


Me with A
As a middle child, I couldn't even see how this could be an issue.  L's the stinkin' baby of the family - and she has my parents wrapped around her little finger (most of the time).  Maybe my perspective of being in the middle for about 19.5 years has allowed me to see objectively.  My parents don't practice favorites (or try not to).  The reality is that they get to see the youngest children more because of mere proximity. 


L and Me

Maybe I'm just used to being ignored, as the MCS suggests.  I don't hate it.  I don't believe I'm mistreated.  The middle is comfortable.  I don't really ever feel lonely...so I'm not completely convinced this syndrome even exists. 

There go my random thoughts of the afternoon.  Thoughts?

p.s. would it be too late to do a review of the decade/year?  I can't decide if I would like to partake of that trend...

3 comments:

  1. Personally, I think the middle child syndrome is something we create to place blame on something other than our own insecurities. I think most parents would agree, that something that they birthed and raised, no matter where in the order of children, is absolutely precious to them. I'm a middle child too and sometimes I look back and think, DANG, my parents did such a good job loving us all equally. I never felt like anyone was loved less or more or anything like that. I think if someone is unhappy or feels like they aren't loved enough, that most likely that stems out of their own insecurities. Again...maybe this isn't the case for all situations, but I think in the end, parents don't give more or less attention to one kid over another. At least mine didn't. And from what I can tell with your parents, they love all three of you A TON and love being involved and a part of your lives :)

    So to conclude, I think I agree with you, I'm not so sure that syndrom actually exists...

    ReplyDelete
  2. um as far as the ps goes...i dont think itd be too late. so long as your in january, i think youre good. i, too, might partake in the trend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. leslie (my bff) says she will also partake in the trend.

    ReplyDelete